Africa Institute for Energy Governance (AFIEGO) is seeking to recruit a Finance and
Founded in 2007, AFIEGO is a civil society based non-profit organisation, whose vision, mission and values are as stated below:
A society that equitably uses energy resources for socio-economic development.
To promote energy policies which benefit poor and vulnerable communities.
AFIEGO is founded on the following core values:
- Respect for diversity;
- Accountability and transparency.
AFIEGO’s strategic focus is in the following thematic areas:
- Empower citizens to participate in the making of energy policies;
- Empower citizens to demand for transparency & accountability in management and utilisation of energy resources;
- Contribute to pool of knowledge on energy through research and documentation;
- Promote gender equity in the utilization of energy resources and;
- Provide free energy legal services and paralegal trainings to vulnerable and poor communities.
About the position
The Manager, Finance and Administration will be a strategic leader, providing oversight and guiding implementation of AFIEGO’s finance and administrative policies. The successful candidate will be a hands-on manager and will lead an internal team to support finance, planning and budgeting, human resources management and administration.
The Manager, Finance and Administration will have the opportunity to play a critical role in strategic decision making and operations as AFIEGO continues to enhance its impact and build its
capacity. The Manager, Finance and Administration will report to the executive director (ED).
- Analyse and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; organize financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
Human Resources, Technology and Administration
- Further develop AFIEGO’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting.
- Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations.
- A minimum of a B.Com, BBA (Finance) or related degree; a Masters Degree/Professional body affiliation will be an added advantage.
- At least five to ten years of overall professional experience; ideally three-plus years of broad financial and operations’ management experience.
- Experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination, and has preferably overseen a human resources’ function previously.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- A good track record in grants management.
- Knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organisation and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritise, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of AFIEGO.
Submission of applications
Receiving of applications will close on 17th March 2017.